Monday, September 13, 2010

Dinner Inspiration from Food Network Magazine

I'm always really excited to get a new Food Network Magazine in the mail and usually skip right to the Weeknight Dinner section. The recipes are simple and mostly quick-cooking. In the last issue, I saw a recipe for Honey-Mustard Chicken and Apples that I knew I wanted to try. I love the combination of pork and apples so why not chicken right? It turned out amazing! Sweet and savory and just perfect! Instead of finishing the chicken in the oven, I just simmered it on the stovetop instead. I also added some left over bell peppers I had in the fridge. I found that I didn't need to add the flour cuz the sauce thickened up with just the butter. I served the chicken over some Cheesy Grits and it was such a yummy dinner!




Ingredients:


2 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 c onion, chopped
1 apple, cut into chunks
1/2 bell pepper, cut into chunks
1/2 c chicken broth
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp fresh parsley, minced for garnish


Prep:


1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken, skin-side down and brown for 5-6 minutes. Flip and cook 2-3 more minutes, then remove to a plate.


2. Add onion, apple and bell pepper to pot and season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, 4-5 minutes. Add broth, mustard and honey and bring to a boil. Add chicken back, skin-side up. Turn heat down to low, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, until chicken reaches 170.


3. Remove chicken to serving platter. Stir in butter, turn heat up to high. Boil until sauce thickens, 4-5 minutes. Serve sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.

1 comment:

Food Gal said...

Sweet and fruity go so well with poultry and pork. This dish looks like a winner to me, too. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...