Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Getting Over My Fear of Shrimp

I rarely cook shrimp cuz I'm always afraid of over-cooking them. (Rubbery shrimp is the WORST!) My idea of cooking shrimp is usually adding cooked shrimp right at the end, which was what I intended to do tonight. I usually have some Cocktail Shrimp in the freezer so I thawed some overnight in the fridge to make Coconut Curry Shrimp. Well, turns out it was a package of UNCOOKED Shrimp WITH PEEL and everything, which I'd completely forgotten about purchasing a while back. Since I had nothing else to work with for dinner, I had no choice but to give it a shot. It turns out that cooking raw shrimp (and peeling them!) wasn't so difficult after all and the dish turned out REALLY yummy! Now I can't wait to make more shrimp dishes!




Ingredients:


1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 c chopped green onions (about 8 small)
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 Tbsp Thai green curry paste
1 (14-oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
1 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Rice Noodles, for serving
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish


Prep:


1. Heat peanut oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, bell pepper and curry paste. Cook, stirring, until pepper are softened, about 5 minute.


2. Add coconut milk, fish sauce and sugar. Bring a boil for 2 minutes. Add shrimp and cook just until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.


3. Serve over rice noodles and garnish with parsley

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...