Thursday, February 25, 2010

Beautiful Orange Scones!

A while back I was flipping through the Heinz Tomato Ketchup Cookbook and found a recipe for Herby Scones with Tomato and Feta that looked interesting. I made a few adjustments and they came out pretty tasty. I did have a bit of trouble with the dough cuz it was VERY wet and sticky. The recipe said to roll it out and cut into rounds but that was just impossible for me. I ended up just patting the dough into a circle on a parchment-lined baking sheet and scoring it into 6 wedges. I cut them after they were baked and it worked perfectly! I really like the tomato flavor in these scones and the chunks of feta were very noticeable as well. I used Athenos Crumbled Feta in Tomato and Basil flavor but you can definitely use any kind you like. I think Blue Cheese would work well in these too but I would use less since they're a bit more salty.




Ingredients: (6 scones)


1 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 oz crumbled feta
3 Tbsp ketchup
1 egg
1/3 c milk


Prep:


1. Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.


2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, paprika and seasoning. Gradually add the oil and mix until you have a lumb crumb mixture. Stir in the feta.


3. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, ketchup and milk. Gradually add to the flour mixture and stir until it forms a soft dough.


4. Flour your hands and pat the dough into a circle about 8-in in diameter and 1/2-in thick onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Score into 6 wedges.


5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

mmm, that sounds so intriguing! I may have had herby scones before but usually I think of the sweet version.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...