Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A lil late for BB but still SO yummy!

I know I haven't been keeping up with Barefoot Bloggers lately but the recipes just didn't appeal to me (or Greg!). THIS though was a total winner and I knew right away that I'd have to make it. LOOK at my amazing Croque Monsieur! They're even better than my Croque Madame! I only made very few adjustments (due to the limited options at our Safeway) and served them with some tomatoes on the side. Does that ooey gooey cheese look yummy or what?

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 c hot milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Pinch nutmeg
2 c Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1/4 c Parmesan cheese, grated
4 slices white sandwich bread, toasted, crusts removed
2 tsp Dijon mustard
4 slices ham
2 thick slices of tomatoes

Prep:

1. Preheat the oven to 400°.

Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan and add the flour all at once, stirring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Slowly pour the hot milk into the butter–flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thickened. Off the heat add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, 1/4 cup Monterey Jack, and the Parmesan and set aside.

2. Lightly brush half the toasted breads with mustard, add 2 slices of ham to each, and sprinkle with half the remaining Monterey Jack. Top with another piece of toasted bread. Slather the tops with the cheese sauce, sprinkle with the remaining Monterey Jack, and bake the sandwiches for 5 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the topping is bubbly and lightly browned. Serve hot with tomatoes on the side.


1 comment:

Leslie said...

These do look yummy! I loved this one too, but it sure isn't something I can handle every day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...