Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Version of Melissa's $10 Dinner

I didn't really like Melissa d'Arabian when she was competing for The Next Food Network Star. I thought she looked unnatural in front of the camera, but I guess that happens to everyone when they're just starting out. I thought I'd give her show, $10 Dinners, a shot and after a few episodes, she really started to grow on me! She gives great tips for the everyday home cook and who doesn't like the idea of feeding 4 people for under $10 right? I watched her make this Sausage and Roasted Vegetable Penne and immediately knew I had to try it! Being me, of course, I had to make a few adjustments, but the end result tasted great and I definitely stayed within my $10 budget! I never knew roasted veggies tasted so good in pasta dishes but I'll be sure to use them more often now. Below is my version of this recipe.



Ingredients: (4 servings)


1 yellow onion, cut into wedges
1 green bell pepper, cheeks removed, cut into bite-size pieces
10 button mushrooms, stems removed
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
Garlic salt and ground black pepper, to taste
20 grape tomatoes
3 chicken sausages (the cooked kind), thinly sliced
1/4 c heavy cream, half & half, or whole milk
12 oz Bowtie Pasta, cooked according to package instructions,
1/2 c shredded Mozzarella cheese
Fresh basil for garnish


Prep:


1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Arrange the onions, peppers and mushrooms on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and toss with 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes.


2. Turn baking sheet around and add the tomatoes. Season with more salt and pepper and toss with the remaining olive oil. Bake another 15 minutes, until vegetables are caramelized.


3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, add the sausage and saute until heated through. Turn up the heat and add the cream. Stir until thickened, about 5 minutes.


4. Add the vegetables and any pan juices to the skillet. Toss in the cooked penne and Mozzarella. Top with basil before serving.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...