Friday, March 26, 2010

More Braising Fun with Chicken!

I had some chicken thighs in the freezer and thought they'd make a good braising candidate. I've always cooked them in the slow cooker so I thought it'd be fun to try something different. I searched around for a good recipe but ended up just doing my own thing. I think I've gotten to the point where I'm comfortable enough with braising to just kinda wing it. I thought of adding a bottle of dark ale or maybe some red wine but found a bottle of Napa Valley Marsala Cooking Wine and thought it would go great with the chicken. WOW! I served this over some store-bought couscous and it was the PERFECT Friday night comfort meal!




Ingredients:


3 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
Salt and pepper
3 slices bacon, chopped
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 c button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (12.7 oz) Marsala Cooking Wine (or another white wine)
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley


Prep:


1. In a deep skillet over medium heat, sauté the bacon until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.


2. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add the chicken thighs to the skillet and cook until well browned, 10 to 13 minutes per side. Set chicken aside on a plate.


3. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to brown and have released their moisture, about 10 minutes.


4. Pour the wine into the skillet and bring to a boil. Stirring up any brown bits that have stuck to the bottom of a pan with a wooden spoon.


5. Return the chicken and bacon to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook until the meat is fork-tender and just starting to come off the bone, 35 to 45 minutes. Serve with sprinkled parsley on top.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...