Thursday, March 11, 2010

Another Healthier Version of a Fried Favorite

Since my Baked Spring Rolls turned out so well, I decided to try healthifying another fried dish, Shrimp Cakes! I remember having these yummy treats at Dim Sum restaurants as a kid but instead of frying them in lots of oil, I just pan-fried them like crab cakes. They were awesome! I used some left-over cocktail shrimp that I had frozen and chopped them up in my mini food processor. Like any crab cake or fish cake mixture, you need to refrigerate the patties for a while so that they firm up and won't fall apart as you're cooking them. I'll definitely make these again and maybe next time, add some more exotic flavors like curry horseradish!




Ingredients: (4 cakes)


1/2 lb cooked shrimp
1/4 c chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp lemon juice
1 c soft breadcrumbs
1/4 c mayonnaise
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp vegetable oil


Prep:


1. Place shrimp in a food processor and process into small pieces. Combine all ingredients except vegetable oil in a large bowl. Stir until well blended.


2. Shape mixture into 4 patties. Place patties on a wax paper-filled baking sheet; cover and chill at least 2 hours or overnight.


3. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook shrimp patties 4 minutes on each side or until golden.

1 comment:

Taste of Beirut said...

They look fab! What a wonderful idea for a weekend meal. Yum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...