Thursday, March 11, 2010

Baking Bread - Irish Style!

Since my Corned Beef was actually NOT traditionally Irish, I decided to make something that is. I've always been curious about Soda Bread cuz there are so few ingredients but they look so hearty and delicious. I found a large variety of recipes but decided on this one from one of my favorite blogs, Baking Bites. According to The Preservation of Irish Soda Bread Society though (yes they do exist!), my version would be considered a "Spotted Dog" since I added raisins. I really like the dense texture of this bread and the raisins added just the perfect hint of sweetness. I can see why this bread was a staple in the old days cuz you could easily fill up on this really inexpensive side dish. (Hint: MUST smear a pat of butter on it!)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...