Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My Healthy Baked Spring Rolls

Spring rolls are yummy but they're usually oily, fried and definitely not too healthy. BUT I decided to try a baked version and they came out REALLY good! The trick to getting that nice crispy skin is brushing a lil bit of oil on the rolls before placing them in the oven. I made a simple filling of ground pork and coleslaw mix but I think next time I might experiment with some shrimp or even baked tofu.




Ingredients: (10 rolls)


1/2 lb ground pork
1 c coleslaw mix
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 Tbsp corn starch
1 Tbsp water
10 (7-in) spring roll wrappers
1 Tbsp vegetable oil


Prep:


1. Preheat oven to 425°F.


2. Cook pork in a saucepan over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Remove from heat and drain. In a medium bowl, mix together pork, coleslaw, green onions, sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger and garlic.


3. Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl.


4. Place approximately 1 tablespoon of the pork mixture in the center of spring roll wrappers. Roll wrappers around the mixture, folding edges inward to close. Moisten fingers in the cornstarch and water mixture, and brush wrapper seams to seal.


5. Arrange spring rolls in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush with vegetable oil. Bake for 20 minutes, until hot and lightly browned.

2 comments:

Food Gal said...

I've also made mini ones for parties where I've pan-fried them in just a little bit of oil. I think it was a Sara Moulton recipe from one of her cookbooks.

cookies and cups said...

I looovvvee spring rolls! And these are baked? that's so awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...