Monday, January 24, 2011

Inspired by America's Test Kitchen

Tonight's pork chop dinner was inspired by a recipe card I saved from an America's Test Kitchen Magazine. It was called Sautéed Pork Chops with Pears and Blue Cheese (which I couldn't find online) but I made quite a few changes. First of all, Greg's not a big fan of Blue Cheese (too stinky?) so I substituted Feta and instead of topping the dish with it, I stirred some of it into the sauce along with the pears. I also used a Dole Pear Cup cuz I didn't have any fresh pear on hand. I served the pork chops over mashed potatoes that I also added some Feta to so all the flavors would pair up nicely. All in all, this was a very comforting meal and quick to pull together on a week night.




Ingredients:


2 bone-in pork chops, 1-inch thick
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 (4 oz) Diced Pear Cup
1/4 c onion, diced
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 c chicken broth
1/4 c heavy cream
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 c crumbled Feta Cheese


Prep:


1. Pat chops dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add chops and brown 5 minutes per side. Transfer to platter and tent with foil to keep warm.


2. Add pear, onion and sugar. Cook, stirring, until softened, 2 minutes. Add sugar and broth and deglaze for 1 minute. Stir in cream, vinegar and butter. Cook until slightly thickened, 2 minutes. Take off heat and stir in Feta. Serve sauce over chops.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...