Monday, March 21, 2011

Welcome to Jamaica "Mon"!

I love trying out new cuisines and the one I haven't had too much experience with is Caribbean. I don't know why since according to Wikipedia, Caribbean Cuisine is a fusion of lots of cuisines including African, Chinese and Indian, which I make all the time. Anyway, I bought some Jamaican Jerk Seasoning at our corner store the other day and decided to experiment with it on some pork chops. I'm sure this recipe isn't authentic at all but the sweet and spicy flavors along with the Tropical Fruit reminded me of the Island and that screams "Jamaica" for me! I also loved the coconut rice, which is just regular white rice cooked in some Coconut Milk along with water.




Ingredients:


2 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
2 bone-in pork chops
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 c chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 (4 oz) Tropical Fruit Cup, undrained
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
Coconut rice, for serving


Prep:


1. In a resealable plastic bag, combine flour and Jamaican jerk seasoning. Add chops and shake to coat.


2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add chops and brown 5 minutes on each side. Remove and keep warm.


3. Turn heat down to medium and add onion. Cook until soft, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, brown sugar and vinegar. Bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits.


4. Return chops to skillet and add fruit along with juice. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until chops are done.


5. Remove chops to serving platter. Turn heat up to high. Add butter and boil until thickened, 5 minutes. Pour sauce over chops and serve with coconut rice.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...