Monday, July 25, 2011

My Hubby Claimed He Didn't Like Gravy!

I mean, seriously, who doesn't like Gravy? My hubby has always claimed that he didn't...until TONIGHT! I almost felt like I was tricking him when I made my Smothered Pork Chops in Gravy but I figured if I call it something else (like Creamy Pork Chops), he probably wouldn't know the difference. He's now a BIG fan of Gravy, that goodness, cuz there are a LOT of yummy Gravy recipes I wanna try! :)




Ingredients:


1/4 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 pork chops, 3/4-inch thick, bone-in
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 c onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c chicken broth
1/2 c buttermilk
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
Grits, for serving


Prep:


1. Put the flour in a shallow platter and add the onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper; mix with a fork to distribute evenly. Pat the pork chops dry with paper towels to remove any moisture and then dredge them in the seasoned flour; shaking off the excess.


2. Heat a sauté pan over medium heat and coat with the oil. When the oil is nice and hot, lay the pork chops in the pan and fry for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove the pork chops from the pan and set aside


3. Add the bell pepper and onion to the skillet and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about half a minute longer.


4. Add the seasoned flour to the pan drippings and mix to dissolve. Pour in the chicken broth. Let the liquid cook down for 5 minutes to reduce and thicken slightly. Stir in the buttermilk to make a creamy gravy.


5. Return the pork chop to the pan, covering it with the sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes until the pork is cooked through. Serve with grits and garnish with chopped parsley.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...