Saturday, January 23, 2010

Greek Yogurt + Apples = Healthy Muffin Marriage

I love the thick texture (and high protein value!) of Greek Yogurt. I've never really thought of it as a sweet treat like regular yogurt but more of a healthy alternative to sour cream. (Yes I've put it on salads and baked potatoes!) I stocked up on WAY more cartons than I could eat from Trader Joe's so I decided to do some baking. Since Greek Yogurt is such a healthy ingredient, I knew I had to stick with the theme by making whole wheat muffins. I also had some apples so I added that as well. And of course, NO muffin is complete without some raisins and nuts!



Ingredients: (6 muffins)


3/4 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c oatmeal (quick cooking or regular)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c Greek yogurt
1/4 c canola oil
1 egg
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 apple (any type), diced
1/4 c raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans


Prep:


1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 6 cup muffin tin.


2. In a large bowl, whisk together sour cream, oil, eggs, brown sugar and vanilla. Add flour, oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir until just combined.


3. Fold in apples, raisins and nuts.


4. Scoop batter into muffin cups (a regular-sized ice cream scoop works well).


5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...