Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Do You Know Why They Call it POUND CAKE?

I've definitely had my share of Pound Cakes but just learned today where the name came from. I had some cranberries to use up and decided to try Oprah's Cranberry Pound Cake. I did a double-take when I saw that the recipe called for 8 eggs and 2 sticks of butter in a single loaf! I mean, I love my eggs and butter but really? So I had to turn to my trusty Wikipedia to find out why. The name Pound Cake comes from the traditional recipe which calls for a pound of the 4 main ingredients: flour, sugar, butter and eggs. Since those amounts usually result in a cake much larger than a small family can consume, they are scaled down but the ratio remains 1:1:1:1. I did some calculations and my pound cake has about 1/2 pound of each so I guess the recipe was on point! I guess you can never have too much butter and eggs right? They kept the pound cake so moist and the tartness of the cranberries tasted very refreshing. I also added some pecans to the mix for that extra crunch! YUMMY Pound Cake!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...