Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What I've Learned About Making Mistakes

One of the most important things I've learned from cooking is that it's ok to make mistakes. In fact, sometimes you can even make a dish better by doing something wrong! When I first started cooking, I was SO afraid of messing up that I would actually toss entire dishes out cuz I added a wrong ingredient! I would read a recipe over and over again just to make sure that I don't miss a single step or measurement. Nowadays, I'm much more comfortable in the kitchen and have learned some tricks to "fix" my mistakes or make substitutions. Tonight's dinner was a great example! When I first saw this recipe for Meatloaf Pie, I immediately knew I wanted to make it. I checked that I had all the ingredients, including the Evaporated Milk, and told Greg that I was making it for dinner! So what went wrong, you ask? My Carnation Evaporated Milk came in a can of 12oz NOT the 5oz called for in the recipe. I didn't notice and added the whole can. WHOOPS! The mixture was VERY wet and I knew something was wrong. The thought of tossing the whole thing out and making pizza did come to mind but I REALLY wanted Meatloaf Pie. So what did I do? I improvised by adding another cup of breadcrumbs and it totally worked! The breadcrumbs soaked up a lot of the liquid making it the right consistency again. The pie came out moist and totally delicious! This is the perfect meatloaf recipe on a weeknight cuz it only takes 30 minutes to bake up instead of the usual hour. I also really liked the cheesy ketchup layer on top!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...