Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Going Moroccan with My Meatballs!

I feel like I don't experiment enough with different cuisine and since I have a pantry full of spices, I really should! You can't really go wrong with meatballs so I thought it'd be a good place to start. Moroccan cuisine has always interested me cuz it usually involves cumin, turmeric and paparika, which are some of my favorite spices. We also LOVE couscous, which is a staple as well. This is my version of Moroccan Meatballs over Pearl Couscous with LOTS of flavor and REALLY yummy!




Ingredients: (12 meatballs)


1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 Tbsp dried onion
1 egg, beaten
1/4 c dry breadcrumbs
1 lb ground beef
1 c sliced mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can (14.5 oz) diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
1/4 c whole milk
2 Tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley
2 Tbsp minced mint
1 c Pearl Couscous (also known as Israeli Couscous)


Prep:


1. In a large bowl, mix together the cumin, turmeric, allspice, garlic salt, dried onion, egg and breadcrumbs. Add beef and mix just until combined. Form mixture into 12 meatballs.


2. Heat olive oil in a deep skillet over medium heat and add the mushrooms and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes, then stir in the tomatoes and milk. When the sauce bubbles, add the meatballs, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.


3. While meatballs are cooking, boil a pot of water. Season with salt and stir in couscous. Let simmer for 10 minutes and drain.


4. Serve meatballs over couscous. Spoon sauce on top and sprinkle parsley and mint.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...