Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I FINALLY Got a Cast Iron Skillet!

I've been wanting a Cast Iron Skillet for a while now but wasn't sure if I really needed one...until now. I saw an Emeril brand at Bed Bath and just couldn't resist. (ESPECIALLY since I also had a coupon!) I tested it out on some Skillet Cornbread and could not be happier with the result! The bread was flavorful and cooked perfectly.




Ingredients: (6 servings)


2 Tbsp butter
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 c cornmeal (yellow or white)
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg lightly beaten
2 c buttermilk
1/2 c shredded cheese


Prep:


1. Preheat oven to 450°F.


2. Heat butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Add bell peppers and sauté until tend, 10 minutes.


3. In a large bowl, mix together cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk egg and buttermilk. Add to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Pour in bell pepper and melted butter. Add cheese and mix until combined.


4. Pour batter into cast iron skillet, bake in oven for 20 minutes. Cornbread should be brown on top and pulling away from the sides of the skillet.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...