Monday, March 7, 2011

No More Dried-Out Pork!

I've just recently ventured out of my comfort zone with pork meaning making more than just pork chops. I've now tried making it in many different ways but somehow only my stir-fries seem to not dry out. I couldn't figure it out at first but then I realized the main difference. Stir-fries usually require dredging the meat in a cornstarch mixture first, whether it be chicken or pork or even fish. It really is the secret to tender and juicy meat no matter what type of dish you're making. So tonight, I made Martha Stewart's Pork Paprikash but added cornstarch to the paprika mixture and it definitely did the trick! Greg took one bite and said he wasn't expecting such tender meat at all. I also did some research and found that baking soda works in the same way as a meat tenderizer so I'll have to give that a try. I just love learning new cooking tricks!

1 comment:

Food Gal said...

Also, stir-frying is a faster way of cooking, so the meat doesn't dry out so much. If you really want to get juicier pork, the secret is brining it in a bath of salt water for an hour or longer (depending upon the cut). Or look for heritage breed pork in your specialty markets. Unlike mass-produced pigs that have been bred to be lean, the heritage pigs are bred to be very marbled. And more fat does mean more flavor. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...