Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Gourmet-Inspired Apple Upside-Down Cornmeal Cakes

I love picking up Cooking magazines that I don't subscribe to while I'm traveling. (I guess you can call it 1 of my guilty pleasures!) Recently I picked up a copy of Gourmet and was inspired by these Apple Upside-Down Cornmeal Cakes. I say "inspired" cuz I didn't follow the recipe all the way. Instead of pulsing together the cold butter and dry ingredients, I decided to melt the butter and just mix everything together (the lazy way!). They came out great though! The smell of the apples cooking with the brown sugar made me crave Apple Pie and I can't WAIT for the holidays!




Ingredients: (6 cakes)


3/4 stick (6 Tbsp) unsalted butter
1 medium apple, choppped
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 c chopped pecans
3/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c yellow cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg
3/4 c whole milk


Prep:


1. Preheat oven to 425F. Spray 6 Mini Bundt Cake cups with cooking spray. (You can also just use regular muffin cups.)


2. Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat until melted. Pour 1/4 c of the butter into a measuring cup and set aside. Add apples, brown sugar and lemon juice to the remaining butter in the skillet. Cook until apples are tender, 5-6 minutes. Divide among cake cups. Add pecans.


3. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and reserved butter. Stir dry ingredients in just until incorporated.


4. Divide batter among cake cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes until browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cake comes out clean.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...