Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Getting Fancy with Chicken Cordon Bleu!

I've ALWAYS wanted to make Chicken Cordon Bleu but was intimidated by the dish. I just didn't think I could do the whole rolling thing especially since Greg only likes thigh meat. Well, tonight I proved myself wrong and I'm SO glad I did! The chicken tasted so good with the melted Swiss cheese and salty Prosciutto inside. I even managed to make some Creamy Fettucini to go with it! I guess I'm a better cook than I give myself credit for!




Ingredients:


2 skinless, boneless thighs
2 slices Swiss cheese
2 slices Prosciutto
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 c chicken broth
1 tsp cornstarch
1/3 c heavy whipping cream
Fettuccine, for serving


Prep:


1. Place chicken thighs between plastic wrap and pound to 1/2-inch thick. Place a slice of cheese and a slice of Prosciutto on each thigh within 1/2-inch of the edges. Fold the edges of the chicken over the filling and secure with toothpicks. Mix the flour and paprika in a small bowl, and coat the chicken pieces.


2. Heat the oil and butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and browned 3 minutes on all sides. Add the broth, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.


3. Remove the toothpicks, and transfer the breasts to a serving platter. Blend the cornstarch with the cream in a small bowl, and whisk slowly into the skillet. Cook, stirring until thickened, and pour over the chicken. Serve with Fettuccini.


Fettuccine with Prosciutto, Cream and Nutmeg


1 Tbsp butter
2 slices Prosciutto, cut into thin slices
1/4 c heavy cream
1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
2 oz Fettuccini, cooked according to package


Melt butter in a saucepan on low heat. Add the prosciutto and stir until lightly brown. Add the cream and nutmeg and cook and stir until reduced it by 1/3. Toss with cooked pasta, add the Parmesan, toss again, and serve.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...