Saturday, April 24, 2010

Tandoori Chicken but a Lil on the Burnt Side

Greg LOVES Tandoori Chicken so I tried to recreate it at home in the oven. I did some research and pretty much put together a bunch of recipes and made my own. I did a pretty good job except for the fact that I put the chicken under the broiler for WAY longer than I should've. (Apparently I'd never used the broiler before and had no idea how HOT it gets!) So after a small cry for help when I saw smoke coming out of the oven and then peeling the blackened outer layers of the chicken off, they weren't so bad. I'm definitely making these again and cutting down on the broiling time cuz I think I got the Tandoori flavor down pretty nicely. The recipe (and cooking time) below has been adjusted to what I should've done so enjoy!




Ingredients:


4 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on
1 c plain yogurt
1 small shallot, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper


Prep:


1. In a bowl, mix together the yogurt, shallot and garlic. Add the lemon juice, stir to combine, and then add the paprika, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir everything together and pour into a large resealable bag. Add the chicken thighs and turn a few times to make sure all of the chicken is covered in the marinade. Close the bag and place on a plate (in case it leaks) in the fridge. Let the chicken marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.


2. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Place the chicken on a broiling pan* and in the oven so that it's 6 inches from the heat source. Bake for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 180°F. Turn the oven to the Broil setting and broil the chicken for an additional 5 minutes.


*Note: To make cleaning easier, you should line both the rack and the bottom pan with foil before placing it into the oven.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...