Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Dusting Off That Cast Iron Pan!

My first attempt at making Skillet Cornbread was very successful so I decided to make another one. I don't use my Cast Iron Pan nearly enough cuz it's just so heavy and I'm always scared I'll burn my hand on the handle again! Anyway, this Tomato Cornbread turned out great and even Greg had a piece (with lots of ketchup of course!). In my opinion, savory cornbread is the best!




Ingredients:


4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) butter
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 c grape tomatoes, sliced in half
2 eggs
1 c all-purpose flour
1 c yellow cornmeal
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 c buttermilk
1 c grated cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley


Prep:


1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Melt butter in 9-inch cast iron skillet and sauté garlic and tomatoes until tender, 5 minutes. Remove from heat.


2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large measuring cup, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Stir in cheese, parsley and tomato mixture.


3. Pour batter into the skillet. Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until edges are crispy and golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool before cutting into wedges.

1 comment:

Food Gal said...

I have that fear about cast iron pans, too. That's why I resisted making upside down cakes in them for the longest time. I still do. Now, I use a silicone cake pan, instead. Yes, it's cheating. But it works just fine. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...