Monday, February 14, 2011

Feta and Bell Pepper just WORKS!

Do you have a favorite cheese and veggie combo? To me, feta and bell peppers works really well together. I think it's the salty and chunky flavor of the cheese that's such a nice contrast to the sweet and crunchy texture of the bell pepper. (I'm also slightly obsessed with cheddar and apples!) I used my favorite Athenos Feta, which in my opinion is THE BEST around. They've got the perfect amount of saltiness and crumbly in just the right way. Here I used the original flavor but I LOVE the Basil Tomato and Garlic Herb ones! These are my Feta and Bell Pepper Squares and they're savory and just great any time of the day. Yea I'm riding solo on V-day but at least I've got these yummy treats to keep me company!



Ingredients: (12 squares or muffins)


2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp dried basil
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
1/4 c (1/2 stick) butter
1 c red bell pepper, diced
1 c buttermilk
1 egg
1/2 c crumbled feta cheese


Prep:


1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray square or muffin pan with cooking spray.


2. Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add bell pepper and sauté until softened, 5 minutes. Cool slightly.


3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, basil, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper.


4. In a large measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Pour into the dry ingredients and add the cooled bell pepper and feta. Stir just until combined.


5. Divide batter among prepare pan, filling almost to the top. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the tops feel firm and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yum I just love savory muffins...sounds delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...