Saturday, June 26, 2010

Finally...Deep Dish Pizza!

I was inspired by Joelen's BLT Pizza cuz Greg LOVES Deep Dish Pizza (he went to school in Chicago) but I was always intimidated by the crust. Her recipe sounded pretty easy using the stand mixer and I also liked the fact that the dough only had to rest for 10 minutes. Instead of BLT, I made Pepperoni and Mushrooms, cuz those are our favorite toppings. I also baked my pizza in a 10-inch spring-form pan cuz my cast iron is pretty small. I never thought I liked Deep Dish Pizza but this was good! The crust was thick and slightly crunchy from the cornmeal. I might add a bit less sauce next time cuz I think I went a lil overboard with it! I loved how the cheese was on the bottom cuz it's like a really good surprise as you bite into the pizza! I can't wait to experiment with more pizza dough now! I'm thinking Stuffed Crust next time...




Ingredients:


Crust:
1-1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 pkg quick-rising yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2-2/3 c hot water (120-130°F)
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp cornmeal


Toppings:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 c pizza sauce
1 c shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
24 pepperoni slices
1 c sliced mushrooms


Prep:


1. Combine flour, yeast, salt and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer to mix fitted with a dough hook.


2. Combine hot water and oil in a measuring cup. With the stand mixer is running, gradually pour in enough of the hot liquid until the mixture forms a sticky ball. The dough should be quite soft. If it seems dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons warm water; if too sticky, add 1 to 2 tablespoons flour. Continue mixing until the dough forms a ball, then process for 1 minute to knead.


3. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl. Coat a sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray and place it, sprayed-side down, over the dough. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.


4. Preheat oven to 450°F or highest setting. Sprinkle the cornmeal on pie pan or cast iron skillet. Press the dough onto the bottom and sides of the pan. Brush the top of the crust with olive oil.


5. Top the pizza with 1 cup of mozzarella, followed by the pizza sauce. Place the Pepperoni and mushrooms on top.


6. Bake the pizza for 15-20 minutes, or until the bottom of the pizza is crisp and golden. Remove pan from oven with oven-proof mittens.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...