It's Barefoot Blogger time again and we're making Coq Au Vin! I thought this yummy bacon and chicken dish would be awesome in the slow cooker and I was TOTALLY right! The meat was SO tender and juicy from the bacon drippings and stock. We still have left-overs and I'm thinking maybe in a pasta dish?
6 slices bacon
8 chicken pieces (I used thighs)
1 large onion, sliced
4 Tbsp garlic, minced
½ lb mushrooms, sliced
½ tsp thyme
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 c chicken stock
1 c dry red wine
1. Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet to drain but reserve the bacon fat.
2. Brown chicken pieces on all sides in reserved bacon grease.
3. Put onion, garlic and mushrooms in slow cooker. Add chicken, bacon and any leftover juices from the skillet.
4. Mix remaining ingredients except wine and pour over chicken.
5. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Turn heat to HIGH and add wine. Cook for an additional hour.