I do a lotta baking with carrots but have yet to try them in something savory. I've seen a few recipes for Zucchini Cheese Scones that looked yummy and pretty healthy. So after some research, I put together my own version using carrots. This time, I worked the dough mostly with my hands and the scones turned out really tender. The carrots also kept them really moist. I just love baking with veggies cuz they make me feel a lil less guilty about the butter and cheese!
Ingredients: (8 scones)
2 c all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small pieces
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 c buttermilk
1 c shredded carrots
1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1 Tbsp buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking power and salt. Add the butter. Using your fingertips, or a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
3. Add the eggs, buttermilk, carrots, and cheese. Mix with a wooden spoon just until everything is blended. Then knead the dough a few times with your hands until it is smooth enough to handle.
4. Beat the egg with the buttermilk. Pat the dough into a circle about 10 inches across onto lined baking sheet and brush with egg wash. Score into 8 parts but don't cut all the way.
5. Bake for about 30 minutes, until tops are golden.