Tuesday, January 13, 2009

TWD: Savory Corn and Pepper Muffins

So I've been slacking a lil with my Tuesdays with Dorie through the crazy holidays but I'm BACK! I was SO excited to make these muffins cuz I'm always looking for savory muffin recipes since sweet ones really only work for breakfast and snacks. AND Greg LOVES Corn Muffins! Remember my Bobby Flay wannabes? I changed the recipe just a lil (you know me!) by using jarred Roasted Red Peppers, omitting the jalapeno and cilantro, and adding some Mexican shredded cheese. They came out SO yummy and great for a hearty meal!


Ingredients: (12 muffins)

1 c all-purpose flour
1 c yellow cornmeal
3 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 c buttermilk
1 stick (8 Tbsp) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg yolk
1 c frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/2 c roasted red bell pepper, chopped

Prep:

1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease or line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.

2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, chili powder, salt, baking soda and black pepper.

3. In a large glass measuring cup, whisk the buttermilk, melted butter and egg yolk together until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients. Gently stir to blend. Stir in corn and peppers. Batter will be lumpy.

4. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each almost to the top. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a thin knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

5 comments:

Cooking for Comfort by Jennifer said...

Nice job! I thought these were GREAT!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your muffins look great and the substitutions sound wonderful!

Jules Someone said...

Those look really yummy.

Cookie said...

These muffins were awesome! The only thing I wish I did was add some Jalapenos. Sadly I wanted to give my mom some and she doesn't like anything spicy. Oh well, next time! :)

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

OMG, I love jarred roasted red peppers. Best. Cheat. Ever. YUM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...