Wednesday, October 12, 2011

How I Manage Working Out, Work AND Cooking Every Night

Poeple often ask me how I manage to work out so much AND cook pretty much every night while managing a full-time job (oh and don't forget Cookie Fridays!). Here are 3 of my main tips and tricks that help me every night.


1. I ALWAYS have staples on hand like different dried pastas, rice, couscous and cornmeal (for making polenta and grits) for side dishes. My pantry is also loaded with pasta sauces, canned tomatoes and condiments galore!


2. I have a VERY stocked freezer with all sorts of beef, pork, chicken and seafood that I buy in bulk whenever they go on sale. (So much that I'm pretty much out of room!) There's also frozen veggies (I love spinach and corn) and nuts for baking. Once in a while I'll actually not feel like cooking so there are a few pizzas in there as well (LOVE Trader Joe's BBQ Chicken!). However, that's as far as I'll go for convenience frozen food so you won't find any Marie Callendar or Hot Pockets in there!


3. Besides stocking up on meat, I also buy whatever veggies go on sale and make sure I'll use them up within the week. That's where the weekly planning comes in and I find it really fun to put together a menu that includes all the things I need to use up in the fridge.


There you go! I like to keep things simple on the weeknights and go a little more gourmet on the weekends. I'm sure you've noticed mostly quick and easy recipes Monday through Friday and more labor-intensive and time-consuming recipes on Sundays!

1 comment:

Food Gal said...

Me, too. Even though I work from home, I save the more labor-intensive cooking for weekends when I have the time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...