Monday, January 2, 2012

First Time with Leg Quarters!

I have to admit that Chicken Leg Quarters have always intimidated me. They're just so BIG and I had no idea what to do with them. I saw some on special the other day and decided I was gonna give them a try. After doing some research, I figured I'd just treat them like big chicken thighs. So I marinated the legs overnight and braised them nice and slow on the stovetop. I decided to go with a Buffalo flavor cuz I also wanted to try out this new Buffalo Chicken Rice Mix I found. I also added carrots and topped the dish with Blue Cheese cuz they remind me of Buffalo Chicken Wings we would order. The meat was SO tender and flavorful and paired just perfectly with the rice! I'm so glad I got over my fear of Chicken Leg Quarters!




Ingredients:


2 large chicken leg quarters
2 Tbsp butter, melted
2 Tbsp Frank's Hot Sauce
1 Tbsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp oil
2 small carrots, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 c chicken broth
1/4 c blue cheese, crumbled


Prep:


1. In a small bowl mix together the butter, hot sauce, paprika, salt, cayenne and pepper. Place chicken leg quarters in a resealable bag.


2. Pour half of the marinade over the chicken and seal bag. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight, turning bag occasionally. Reserve remaining marinade.


3. When ready to cook, heat oil in a Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and add to the pan, skin-side down. Cook until the skin is browned, 5 minutes. Flip and brown 5 minutes on the other side. Remove and keep warm.


4. Add the carrots and onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and deglaze.


5. Add chicken back, skin-side down and turn heat down to a simmer. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 180°F. Remove chicken to serving platter.


6. Add reserved marinade and turn heat up to high. Boil until thickened and pour over chicken. Top with blue cheese crumbles and serve over rice.

1 comment:

Food Gal said...

You did the perfect thing with them. They are made for braises and stews. I bet you get hooked on them now. They are much more flavorful than the usual ol' chicken breasts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...